460 Squadron, R.A.A.F., was equipped with Vickers Wellingtons from March to December, 1942. Squadron crews flew on 76 0perations in these aircraft, raiding targets in centres such ads Hamburg, Dortmund, Cologne and Wilhelmshaven.
    Affectionately named the "Wimpy" after a cartoon character, the Wellington was a twin engined bomber that doubled in many roles in Coastal and Training Commands.
    The Wimpy was the only bomber aircraft brought into service before the war began and was still in service well after the wars end.
    Specified as early as 1932, Vickers produced the first Wellington in 1936. These aircraft were fitted with Bristol Pegasus engines. Later Rolls Royce Merlins and Bristol Hercules were used. Over 11,000 were produced before manufacturing ceased in 1945.
    Of Geodetic Construction (cross membered) developed by Dr. Barnes Wallis of Dambuster fame, Wimpy was immensely strong. I action it was able to absorb horrific damage and still remain controllable.
    The aircrafts first operation against the enemy was an attack on German warships at Wilhelmshaven in 1939 and its last raid was on Previso in Northern Italy in April 1945.


    Pilot  --  Radio Operator  --  Navigator  --  Bomb aimer/Nose gunner  --  Tail gunner  --  Waist gunner


               2 X Bristol Pegasus XVlll radial engines of 1050 hp each.
               Speed 235 mph.
               Ceiling 19,000 ft.
               Range 1805 miles.
               Armament 8 X 0.303 machine guns.
               Bomb load 4,500 lb.
               Wing span 86 ft.
               Length 65 ft.

    Controls were heavy, particularly during an approach to a landing.
Nevertheless, a wonderful aircraft.
11,000 Wimpys proved it.

            THE AVRO


    460 Squadron converted to Lancasters during September 1942.
    The Avro Lancaster was judged to be the most able bomber used during WWll. In 1945 it reached the summit of its effectuality by lifting and delivering a colossal 10 ton "Grand Slam" Earthquake bomb to the German submarine pens in Europe. Previously unbreachable reinforced concrete was smashed, resulting in large submarine losses.
    Its manoeuvrability was demonstrated when 617 (Dambuster) Squadron raided the Mohne, Eder and Scorpe dams. A pilot friendly aircraft that was a pleasure to fly.
    All who flew the Lanc had nothing but praise. Landings were almost "Tiger Mothish", the aircraft floating along the runway, asking for a perfect three point landing.
    Yet she was born a failure. Designed by Roy Chadwick for A.V.Rowe Ltd. and called the Manchester, it was fitted with two Rolls Royce Vulture engines, a new type that proved to be troublesome. The aircraft could not carry its designed bomb load and was difficult to fly. Chadwick redesigned the wing and fitted four Rolls Royce Merlins creating the mighty Lancaster. Of almost 1,000,000 tons of bombs dropped by the R.A.F., the Lancaster carried 610,000 tons.

This was the noblest aircraft of the all,
Its flying qualities were gentle and the
design factors so combined, that all its
crews could stand up and say,

                                                                                           Bill Spowage.


    Pilot  --  Radio operator  --  Navigator  --  Bomb aimer/Nose gunner  --  Tail gunner  --  Midupper gunner  --  Engineer


               4 X Rolls Royce Merlin engines of 1130 hp each.
               Speed 275 mph.
               Ceiling 24,500 ft.
               Range 2530 miles
               Armament 8X 0.303 machine guns.
               Bomb load 12,000 lb.
               Wing span 102 ft.
               Length 59 ft.

Oh what an aeroplane

 Back to the 460 squadron home page...